Wednesday 5 December 2012

The start of something new

Where is our summer weather we are supposed to be having? It feels like winter here, it doesn't even feel like Christmas to me yet, I hope this weather of ours starts to warm up soon. The last few days have been the type of days I would normally curl up on the couch with my stitching and stitch away with the rain and wind lashing outside, but because I didn't have anything on my 'to go' list I sat down to some scrap booking instead which I also love doing.
But today I opened my tub of stash to see what was hiding away that I had forgotten about and it seems I've forgotten about many patterns and kits I had. This is what I found, I am sure there are a few other kits lying around somewhere else.

There are many kits and patterns there I would love to stitch, it's hard to choose just one. But when my husband and I went to Europe on our honeymoon, one of our places we visited was Paris. I found a beautiful cross stitching shop there which was very exciting for me because I knew whatever pattern I bought would always hold memories of where it came from and what I was doing when I bought it. Such a special memory to know the kits I did buy would remind me of our honeymoon together. I will always think about this when it's hanging on our walls too. So, the kit I am going to start next is called 'Les Marie's' which is a gorgeous wedding sampler.

Isn't it cute? I also love the one underneath my wedding sampler in the previous photo of the girl running with the cupcakes. I also bought that in the same shop but I will hold off on that one. It reminded me of myself straight away since I not only love eating cupcakes but I also love baking them! The only problem with these patterns is, they are all in French! Of course..but they have the listing of DMC colours I need at least. I will have to try and translate the instructions on the internet with the fabric measurements I need. I am looking forward to getting started on this one soon, not sure when but soon.

Getting back to baking, I baked this cake for my Mum for her 60th birthday over the weekend. I was quite proud of it and wow did it taste yummy if I can say so myself! It was vanilla cake with lemon butter cream icing.

 That is all from me today, off to make myself a cup of tea now and relax at the end of a night.

Happy Stitching xx

12 comments:

  1. I can just imagine how nice the cake was.
    Wow! You got to see Paris. That is amazing. I'd love to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so amazing there Melissa. I can share my European scrapbook album with you sometime.

      Delete
  2. Great kits. Cake looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perth has been having similar weather too. I saw in the news last night that the alpine area of Vic even had snow! Strange weather for summer in Aus!!
    The cake you made is gorgeous. Love your stash charts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy isn't it? Typical for us though. Oh thank you, I really do love baking.

      Delete
  4. That's what makes Melbourne, Melbourne - gotta love the changeable weather :P You're getting quite a stash there hun - some gorgeous designs and I'll look forward to seeing them come to life. Your cakes always look gorgeous, and it's so lovely of you to make your Mum's birthday cake. It looks like it was fab - might have to get you to make me one next year! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. Wouldn't be Melbourne without 4 seasons in one day. I thought my stash was adding up too, I really love all of them. I can't wait to start my next project.
      Aww thanks hun, Mum cried when she saw her cake, she was so happy.

      Delete
  5. You've chosen a lovely new project, Belinda! And your cake is so sweet... I will be turning 60 in two years, but I seriously doubt that one of my sons will bake me a cake as nice as that (or any cake for that matter!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carol, I do love baking but it's always a learning curve of course. :-) So glad you think it's lovely. Mum loved it which is the main thing. If I lived closer I could make the same for your 60th..haha! I am really looking forward to starting my new project too.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for commenting this late - I just can't help it when I saw the cake. Such an endearing-looking cake! Just looking at it brings tears to my eyes, don't know why... Maybe bcos it looks so genuine, heart-felt, and sincere.

    ReplyDelete