I took my dog Matilda down to the beach for a walk this morning and she managed to eat something fishy! I tried to run to her before she could swallow whatever she found but being pregnant and running on soft sand didn't really help the matter so as I was running she was running away from me and eating this thing in her mouth. I was so annoyed and I am very paranoid because I thought it might have been one of those puffer poisonous fish, but wherever she found it, it wasn't close to the water so I wasn't sure it would have been.
Anyway I was very worried about her as she did swallow it so we went home straight away and I cancelled going into work as I would have hated myself if I had left her home on her own. I am so glad of my decision because an hour later she was violently throwing up and she started shaking alot and was finding it hard to breathe. I don't think I've gotten Matilda into the car so fast and sped off in a panic to the vets which is also an animal hospital. I was so upset in the car almost hyperventalating myself which is not good I know being pregnant and all, but she is my baby and I just kept having the worst thoughts come into my head with these stupid puffer fish. She threw up in my car and then when we got to the vets she kept throwing up so they had to give her an anti vomiting shot and some charcoal tablets. She was still shaking at this stage and the vet was concerned that if she kept doing that and was still throwing up when I got home we would have to take her back and do some tests and put her on a drip. He said she had been poisoned but with what he didn't know. The vet was lovely and offered to keep her at the hospital ( I think he saw that I was pregnant and was worried if she collapsed or something I couldn't pick her up) but my husband was also worried because I was so distressed that he cancelled his job at work and came home so we could monitor her together. The vet said if she did get worse we would need to take her back. Apparently with these puffer fish they can actually restrict their breathing and dogs often collapse and can't walk, but she was still walking fine other than the shaking.
So we got home and she was still trying to be sick but nothing was coming up but outside we did find some sort of seafood and white flesh that she had brought up earlier (I was dry reaching when I saw it) and we gave her water but she is not allowed any food. She was still shaking but since she's had the medication the vet gave her she has improved alot. She is breathing better, her shakes have stopped and she has wanted to drink.
I am constantly looking at her but she has just fallen asleep as she did fight it for awhile and I now have a headache. I was so upset at her for eating such a yucky thing but she is a dog after all and I do forget that at times. :-) I am just glad she is better and that I made the decision to stay home because she did definately need some help. I have not even felt like stitching, but now that she's ok I think I might be able to start some now.
I can't believe the luck I've had in the past few days. I hope everyone else has had better days, and happy stitching x